What is World Book Day?
Dressing as a favourite book character is becoming a more and more popular activity in Primary schools to celebrate World Book Day. This year World Book Day falls on Thursday 5 March which is just over a week away. The biggest celebration of reading for pleasure, World Book Day is a charity funded by publishers and booksellers in the UK & Ireland.
Their website has loads of information and great ideas for celebrating books and reading – they want to make story-sharing a habit of a lifetime and create readers for life!
14 Dungarees Outfit Ideas for World Book Day
At Dungarees Online we often get people buying dungarees/bib-overalls for Dress-up or fancy dress parties as well as for shows or musicals! If you need an idea for a Do-it-yourself costume for Book Day there are various characters from books who are known for wearing dungarees, so if you are looking for a fuss free DIY costume why not choose to dress-up as one of the following characters?
- The Scarecrow - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum – Old hat, Check shirt or t-shirt with denim dungarees (bit of straw sticking out of legs and sleeves and hat.)
- One of the Walton’s children – From the book Spencer’s Mountain by Earl Hamner – Old Shirt or t-shirt, denim bib-overalls, straw hat, hair in plaits for girls.
- Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn - The adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain – Tatty shirt, denim dungarees/bib-overalls, straw hat.
- Fern - from Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White – blue dungarees, white blouse, hair in bunches or ponytail.
- Matilda (Matilda by Roald Dahl) – Denim Dungaree shorts, t-shirt, cardigan, white socks and sneakers.
- One of the 3 Little Pigs - Make a snout from a paper cup - paint it pink with two circles at the front for nostrils attach some elastic so it fits around your child’s head. You could also use pink face paint and dress them in a check shirt and denim dungarees.
- Bob the Builder (created by Keith Chapman, book stories by various authors) – Denim Dungarees, yellow construction hat, check shirt.
- Oor Wullie (From the Comic strip & Annuals - created by R. D. Low) - Spiky hair, dungarees, t-shirt and a bucket.
- Pinocchio (From the Book The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi) – Red dungaree shorts, yellow/white t-shirt, blue bow tie, white gloves, hat.
- Mario - Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo Adventure Books) – – Blue dungarees, red t-shirt, red peaked cap with M on it, false moustache.
- Luigi - Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo Adventure Books) – – Blue dungarees, green t-shirt, green peaked cap with L on it, false moustache.
- Minions – from Despicable Me The Junior Novel by Annie Auerbach - Denim dungarees or dungaree shorts/dress for girls, yellow long-sleeved t-shirt/hoodie, optional yellow beanie hat, goggles/round glasses.
- Maisy Mouse (Books by Lucy Cousins) – Red or blue dungarees, green t-shirt, mouse mask & tail.
- Pippi Longstocking (Various books by Astrid Lindgren) – Denim Dungarees or bib-shorts, red and white striped top, hair in plaits (or false plaits) and freckles.
After World Book Day
If you want more easy costume ideas take a look at our Pinterest Board - World Book Day Costume Ideas
If you buy boys or girls dungarees for your World Book Day outfit, they have the added bonus that your kids can wear them afterwards too! Dungarees are perfect for kids as they are comfortable as well as durable with lots of useful pockets and they are adjustable so they can grow with your little ones (and can be passed on to younger siblings!). Also, they are great play clothes as kids can get as grubby as they like when playing outside and mums can chuck their dungarees in the washing machine afterwards without any fuss.